Saturday, June 12, 2010

recap. part 1 of 2.

I am writing to you from the backroom at work. I was planning to update this a lot more then just two posts, but for some reason my internet in guatemala was the worst. I lived through a volcano eruption and a sinkhole (the sinkhole was actually about 15 miles away or so). not to mention mudslides and hurricanes.

but onto the work end of things. it was 2 days on 1 day off, but even on my off days i was shooting all the time (as was the rest of the team). to give you an idea of how many photos we took i shot an average of 150-250 a day were as some people were shooting between 250-400. from that we were supposed to select our best photos for me that was anywhere between 20-30 and for others 40-100. we would spend our mornings going through these photos as a group and selecting only the best so we would go from 1500-2000+ images to only having 300-400. from that 300-400 images we would cut that down again.

I along with one of my teammates were selected to be the book editors and we cut 300-400 pictures down to about 75 and now have to arrange those in a book. so thats exciting but really just means more work.

Spending time in the dumps was the hardest part. there was the language barrier and then the barrier i created with my camera. but apart from that i saw some of the most determined people ever. for example we were supposed to go to this painters village known as comolapa (sp) and it was blocked off by a mudslide (PHOTO OP!) so we turned around to get a phone call almost 2hrs later and finding out the road was now clear to drive on.

everywhere we went it was smiles..regardless of their living situation. it was intense.

part 2 to come later. back to work for now.

No comments: